Monday, July 6, 2009

2009 Fall pictures of cabin improvements

Rather than just show the current pictures , I have decided to step back in time to show where the work has come from as well as where I left it at the end of summer 2009. I won't go back to what it looked like before I had a "blank" slate as it would take far too many pictures and way too much explanation!

The two pictures below are after I painted the walls & floor with a primer to seal odors & stains the summer of 2003.
Above is looking into the main room of the cabin from the doorway toward the bedroom and below is the reverse.
In August 2006, there was an "over abundance" of rain, which caused the the lake to overflow the the shoreline. If you look at some of the earlier pictures that I posted, you will see that the cabin sits about 10 feet from the shoreline! As a result, when passing wakeboard boats passed by, the waves would slosh up on the bottom side of the cabin making it sound like I was on a houseboat instead of inside of a cabin. Needless to say, the original particle board not only got wet but by the following summer, had "buckled". In 2008, I had my nephew help me with this next task....four feet of the particle board from the flooring on the front side of the cabin was removed and replaced with treated plywood.
In 2009, I had decided to lay "strip" vinyl flooring, but I decided to lay another layer of plywood first....over kill probably, but the flooring was not totally even or level. The pictures below is a progressive of the work done in August 2009.
Plywood laid first.
A layer of water barrier underlayment next....
Then the beginning of the vinyl.
Over halfway finished with the vinyl flooring...
With the flooring completely installed (in about a total of 8 or 9 hours, I divided it into two days), I moved a few things out of the smaller cabin. Now it's looking like I might be able to use this cabin soon. I had two chandeliers installed...one you can see in the picture below over the table! You can also see the tongue'n'groove pine "ceiling" I installed in the summer of 2006.
The next project was to get the kitchen cabinets put together so I could get someone to install them. Below is the starting of that task...
Two cabinets nearly done....only four more to go! Also, the second chandelier can be seen in this picture.
Labor Day weekend I put the property to sleep for the winter. I'm always alittle sad at the end of the season...I will miss it. The photo below is an appropriate picture to end the summer of 2009....a full moon around 10 pm or later!


No comments:

Post a Comment